I’m a Design Strategist with a multidisciplinary background – I have graduate degrees in both engineering and applied psychology. Before launching my own consultancy, I spent 15 years designing complex military systems to protect US and coalition soldiers around the world, as well as training US Army soldiers to be more resilient using the cognitive tools of resilience.
Now I consult with businesses and organizations across many different industries, including consulting, banking, education, product development, law firms, Dept of Defense (DoD), and the military. I specialize in helping them to build indigenous innovation capabilities and to solve complex and multidisciplinary problems. I do this by using the tools and methods of Human Centered Design. I also uncover the habits and practices that drive innovation and creativity by interviewing world class experts on my show, The Next Year Now Podcast.
If you here it’s probably because you or your organization are struggling to think creatively, to build an innovation capability, or just to improve the way you solve problems. If that’s you, then let’s talk because without a doubt, this is what I do best. My superpower is teaching the fundamentals of creativity and innovation.
It's one thing for me to tell you that I'm an expert on innovation, but don’t take my word for it, I want you to listen to what other people have said about me and my work.
My testimonials are what I’m most proud of … because it means I’ve actually helped these people to positively and significantly impact their organizations. And helping people to develop solutions in the service of what they do means the world to me.
How did I get to this point? I did it through a lot of study and practice. Here are some highlights from the last 5 years. I have:
- Studied design thinking at the Johns Hopkins University, IIT Institute of Design with design expert and professor Vijay Kumar, & University of Virginia with business professor and design thinking expert and author Jeanne Liedtka
- Taught over 1000+ students across different industries, domains, and organizations – including Accenture, Fifth Third Bank, University of Maryland Students and Faculty, Owens Corning, AM Law 200 law firm, DoD and government organizations, and the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (JHU/APL)
- Helped to develop and drive one of the U.S. Navy’s premier innovation programs, Tactical Advancement of Next Generation (TANG), in support of the US Navy’s Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral John Richardson
- Partnered with IDEO to help solve some of the US Navy’s most complex and challenging problems – for example, Improving Mission Planning and Cultivating Tougher Sailors.
- Helped to build and drive innovation programs and related efforts (e.g. creating and teaching design thinking classes, innovation competitions, sponsor engagements, etc) at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
- Developed strategy and execution priorities for IT & health care organizations within JHU/APL
- Designed a variety of innovation and design spaces, totaling over 10,000 square feet