Work With Tom
- Consultant to the US Military (Navy, Army, etc), University of Pennsylvania, and Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory focusing on innovation and organizational development. (more)
- Featured Speaker at top organizations like Johns Hopkins University and the International Positive Psychology Association. (more)
- Workshop Design & Facilitation to help scientists, engineers, and military soldiers brainstorm and prototype new solutions to difficult challenges. (more)
- Featured by Harvard Business Review, New Scientist, and Positive Psychology News Daily
Thank you for your interest in working with me! My consulting work usually focuses on helping engineering organizations create physical spaces (e.g. Maker, Design spaces) and organizational development initiatives (e.g. diversity & Inclusion, leadership, etc) that foster innovation and creativity amongst scientists, engineers, and other staff.
In addition, I also help the military solve difficult challenges by applying human centered design. Unique to this process is co-creating the solutions with the military’s users (e.g. warfighters and government civilians).
I’ve developed a strong expertise and experience in the process of design and innovation and I’m always curious to explore other innovation efforts as well. If you are interested, please submit a consulting request using the form at the bottom of this page.
I generally accept one to two speaking or workshop engagement per month.
Here is my current availability:
Slots for the Summer and Fall of 2018 are being booked now. To submit a speaking request, please fill out the form at the bottom of the page.
Potential Speaking Topics
I’m happy to work with you to create a customized presentation for you and your organization. That being said, here are some popular topics:
- Maker Spaces Transform: How to “Make Out” with your organization to create a culture change
- Navigating Uncharted Waters in the DoD – How Design Thinking is charting an innovative and creative future for the DoD and the military
- Got Inclusion? Why Diversity Fails us and how designing an inclusive organization can unleash innovation in our organizations
Selected Speaking Engagements
Past and future speaking engagements include:
- International Positive Psychology Association World Congress in Los Angeles, CA
- Design Strategy Conference in Chicago, IL
- Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Colloquium in Laurel, MD
- SEAM Design Conference in Baltimore, MD
- Association of Old Crows in Adelaide, Australia
- International Council on Systems Engineering in Baltimore, MD
Workshop Design and Facilitation
One of my most popular requests by far is workshop design and facilitation. Organizations and groups often find it hard to brainstorm new ideas, concepts, and solutions in their work. I help them address this challenge working with them to understanding their needs and goals, designing a custom workshop, and then facilitating the session amongst small and large groups of people.
Past examples of workshop design include:
- Creating vision, strategy, and execution statements for organizations
- Brainstorming and rapid prototyping of innovation spaces for engineers & scientists
- Creating mission statements for organizations
- Leadership development programs & concepts
- Design Thinking 101: What is it and how to apply it
- And many more wonderful engagements …
If you are interested, please submit a workshop request using the form below.